Sunday, June 19, 2011

Collard Greens

My first harvest from the garden this year is the tomato. Usually I get peas, but this year's weather is exceptional. A few weeks after I trimmed the leaves on the tomato plants, the tomato plants started to bear fruits. Because of the heat wave in one of the week, now I have 2 tomatoes ripe on the vine. Above is the picture of the big boy tomato. But it look more like the early girl.

I planted a big size Kung Pao chili pepper plant this morning despite the running nose and mild headache I had since friday. Luckily the weather is cooler. The weatherman is calling for some rains today. After cleaning out the dried leaves on the tomato plants, I saw 2 of my purple kohlrabi are ready to be picked. If I keep it longer in the garden, the bulb might hardened. I also grow collard greens in my garden and some of the outer leaves seems ready to be harvested.

I carefully inspecting the under leaves to make sure I didn't bring any slugs or any insects eggs home with me. I washed the collard greens and the kohlrabi many times. Then I cut out the kohlrabi big leaves. I use the kohlrabi leaves in my collard greens recipe.

Ingredients:
12 pieces collard greens leaves
10 pieces kohlrabi leaves
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
1 tablespoon Mrs. Dash herb blend
1 cube of anchovies(optional)
4 pieces bird eye hot pepper (optional)

Method:
Cut the greens into bite size.
In a big pot, add chicken stock, water, mrs.dash, anchovies and hot pepper. Bring it to a boil.
Once boil, add all the greens.
Cook for another 10 minutes on medium low.
Serve warm.

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment