Thursday, August 12, 2010

Poached Etruscan Salmon

The first day of Ramadan 2010 was greeted by thunderstorm and heavy rain. I have missed the sahur (breakfast) in the morning. The fajar which is also known as the beginning of fasting was at 4.50 am and the sunrise was at 6 am. I woke up around 5.30 am. The rain didn’t stop until late at night. I am thankful that the rain came. It quench the thirsty plants in the garden. I have harvested the watermelon last week. The vine was dry. Before I lose the watermelon to dryness, I better harvest it.

Anyway, I survive the 14++ hours fasting today. My meal tonight was salmon cooked in marinara sauce.
To go along with this salmon, I cook asparagus with italian spices bread crumbs.

Poached Entruscan Salmon

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot finely diced
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 tablespoon crushed red peppers
1 1/2 cups seafood stock
1 cup smooth marinara sauce
1 tablespoon capers drained
1/4 cup kalamata olives pitted and sliced
1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh Rosemary
3 salmon fillets(about 6oz each)
Salt and pepper

Method
Heat olive oil in braising pan on medium high
Add shallot and garlic
Add wine and red pepper flakes
Cook 3 minutes
Add seafood stock, marinara sauce, capers, olives and Rosemary
Heat to simmer at medium low
Season salmon with salt and pepper.
Place skinned side up in pan.
Cover. Poach 5 minutes
Turn salmon over. Cover. Poach 5 to7 minutes
Remove pan from heat.
Rest for 2 minutes.

For dessert I've made super delicious bread pudding.



Ingredients:
1 loaf of old bread
3 eggs
5 cups milk 1% fat
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix all and bake in the oven at 350 degree F for about 1 hour or until tooth pick inserted came out clean.

Share

2 comments:

  1. Kalau makan ramai ramai lagi sedap. The left over juice I ate it with a slice of wheat toast.

    ReplyDelete