Sunday, August 02, 2009

Siew Bao - Crispy BBQ Bun

Today is a perfect day to heat up my oven. The weather has been humid lately. We got some rains every now and then. I have my laundry machine working. I could not go to the garden because the ground was really muddy. My friend Gertrude reminded me of her Siew Bao, a crispy bbq bun that I must try. I was also trying to kill the time before I head out to the grocery store. So, I sweat myself in my kitchen with Gertrude's recipe. And surely I cannot shape the bun as pretty as Gert's. I need practice apparently. However, her instruction was simple and easy to follow.
My ingredients are cut half than hers.
For the oily dough:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoon shortening
Mix these two ingredients until soft and let it rest for 30 minutes.

For the watery dough:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon shortening
3 tablespoon water
1/4 cup confectioner sugar ( that is all I have in my pantry)

Mix the dry and the shortening until well incorporated. Then add the water. Knead until soft and let it rest for 30 minutes.

Divide each dough into 8 parts.
Put the oily dough in the center of the water dough. Cover nicely.
Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough. Roll the dough.
Flatten it again. Roll the dough.
Flatten in round shape.
Put the chicken filling in the center.
Bring all side to the top of the bun.
Brush with egg wash.
Sprinkle some sesame seeds (optional). I have a big bag of this seeds. So I've got to use it.
Bake in the oven at 375 degree F for about 30 minutes. Delicious!
My filling is super simple. I only use items in my fridge.
I thaw and re heat some cooked frozen buffalo wings chicken.
Remove the meat from the bone.
Chop the chicken into smaller bite.
Dice 1 big red onion. Mix it into the chicken.
Add handful of peas. This is my homegrown peas that I have freeze.
Add 1 tablespoon sugar
Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce
Add 1 tablespoon bbq sauce
Add 1 tablespoon oyster sauce.
Mix well. I didn't cook my filling since the chicken is already cooked.
This crispy bun is so delicious even though the shape is out of place and some of the juices ran out through the holes. :-)
Today's craze at the store is this cute little cacti. I bought 3 of them at Giant for $1.99 each. They are sitting nicely on my kitchen windowsill. I dress them up with some small gravels. I love cactus!

No comments:

Post a Comment