Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cream of Tomato Soup

Honey was not feeling well. When he woke up, I asked him what he wants for dinner. I gave him option either a steak or chicken. He shook his head and said, I want some cream of tomato soup. I looked at him and said, I don't know how to cook cream of tomato.
Then he said, you need to get the food processor from the shed in the back yard though.
Yes, I hide my food processor in the shed when I was cleaning the kitchen.
Then I said, I can use the hand blender.
He said ok.
I asked him if he wants me to look for a recipe online. He said, No. Use the cooking book.
I said , Ok. I went to the kitchen to get the Joy of cooking book. I read to him the ingredients.
We don't have celery so I will have to use our celery salt to have a hint of celery.

Ingredients: 4 servings
4 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoon flour
2 cups milk (wish I could say this homegrown)
1 large onion chopped (homegrown)
5 large ripe tomato (homegrown)
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoon celery salt (you can use celery instead and add sugar to taste)

Method:
In a big pot, melt butter on medium low heat.
Add in flour and stir with a whisk.
Slowly add milk and keep stirring to prevent lump.
Add chopped onion
Add in diced tomato. I squeeze out the juice from the tomato and use the tomato meat.
Add bay leaf.
Add brown sugar and celery salt.
Seasoned to taste.
I use hand held blender and cream it right in the pot.
Let it simmer for 15 minutes. Occasionally stir the soup.
Serve warm or chill with some crackers. Honey like it so much that he ate 2 bowls. I purposely didn't offer him the last bowl or he will finish it too.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Zue,

    I wish I could say that I love eating fresh tomatoes but frankly speaking, I don't. However, as it is healthy, I "tolerate" its presence in salads, sandwiches, etc. I would generally not eat it on its own if I can avoid it. :)

    However, strangely enough, I like cream of tomato soup.

    Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I intend to give it a try.

    A quick question - what type of flour did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh this is just what i've been looking for! thanks kak zu!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pebbles, I use regular all purpose flour. I cannot believe the creamy taste this soup give. I am not sure whether because of homegrown anion and homegrown tomato or because the measurement of the ingredients was just right.

    BabyBooned, you've got to try this. Let me know how yours turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zue,

    I will be trying this out...my son loves tomato soup with crrackers! Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete