Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Otak otak

I love otak otak. Otak otak traditionally made from Tenggiri fish meat and wrap in banana leaf. I have never thought of cooking otak otak myself until I have tasted super salty otak otak recently. I didn't know how simple the recipe for otak otak until I have to cook it..
Ingredients:
1 can of pink salmon. Drain the water and remove the fish bone.
1 egg
5 pieces fresh red hot pepper
1 medium size yellow onion
1 tablespoon grated lemongrass
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground ginger
4 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water
1 packet of spring roll skin.
Method:
Blend hot pepper, onion and lemongrass with water.
In a skillet, heat the blended hot pepper. I do not use any oil.
Add all spices.
Mix well.
Add mashed fish meat.
Add egg.
Stir well.
Add corn starch and cook until thickened.
(Other recipe might use the steaming method. )
Set aside to cool.
Use the spring roll skin to wrap the otak otak.
Freeze for storage.
When ready to eat, deep fry the otak otak until golden brown.

Share

2 comments:

  1. I made otak otak before by just blending fish and all the spices and then wrap in banana leaves and baked it. Not bad lah the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gert, I didn't know that this otak otak is easy to cook. Once I tasted the salty otak otak, I was so frustrated and decided to cook my own. I should try your bake one next time. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete