Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sambal Tempe, Tofu, almond and Anchovies

Sambal Ikan Bilis, Tempe and Tofu.
My friend Tik bought for me tempe from Philly and I must try it. The packaging looked promising with cheaper price than at Giant. I was going to just fry the tempe and have it for my dinner tonight but then I saw a packet of tofu in my fridge. I also stock up on ikan bilis(known as anchovies/tiny fish) and so I took them out from the fridge. While talking to my friend on the phone, my hand was busy cutting the tempe, tofu and clean the tiny fish heads off. Occasionally, I stop to sip on the lemon smoothies my husband made for us. At one point, my friend had to pause because I was making a loud noise. I was trying to take out the frozen perogies.  They were stuck beween other big bags in the freezer. The deep fry perogies is for honey.

This healthy and delicious sambal tempe, tofu and anchovies was my dinner. I was going to eat it just like that  at first but then I thought it would be nice to have it with basmathi rice.

Ingredients:
1 packet dried anchovies (4 oz or 120 gram)
1 packet tempe ( fermented soy )
4 pieces firm tofu
1 cup almond
4 tablespoons homemade blended sambal (Red hot cherry peppers, ginger, onion, garlic, belacan(shrimp paste)
1 cup Yoshida’s sweet and savory marinated sauce
Pinch of salt
Olive oil to deep frying tofu, tempe and anchovies.

Method:
1. Cut the tempe into half inch cubes.
2. Cut tofu the same size as the tempe.
3. In a deep fryer, fry tempe until brown. Set aside.
4. Fry tofu until golden brown. Set aside.
5. Fry anchovies. Set aside.
6. In a big pot, heat 1 cup olive oil.
7. Saute blended sambal.
8. Add Yoshida’s sauce.
9. Add salt to taste.
10. Cook sambal for about 5 minutes.
11. Then add the tempe, tofu, anchovies and almond.
12. Mix well with the sambal.
13. Cook for another 10 minutes.
14. Turn off the stove.

For dessert, I cook bubur cha cha made of tapiocca pearls.


Below is the picture of the ingredients I used for the sambal tempe. The organic fermented soy in the middle of the picture is the kind I bought from Giant store. The tempe on the right is the tempe from Philly and is the tempe I used for this recipe.

Diane, the Yoshida's sauce is just a sweet teriyaki sauce use to marinate meat or vegetables. I like the taste of this sauce and I have been using it in almost all of my cooking.
Share

7 comments:

  1. Zue ni my favorite!! ikan bilis dgn tempah sambal!! mesti makan dgn tangan yea! yum-yum!!! btw,like your new template♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beachlover, thanks on the template. I have it since the last time we've spoken. Oh my, the tempe is soft, fresh and taste better than the one sell at giant. Plus, I have a big bottle of the yoshida sauce and gotta use it b4 it turned bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zu, ikan bilis beli dari mana? And what is Yoshida sauce?

    I've never had tempeh in Malaysia and I takut to try here for fear its not authentic....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zu, ikan bilis beli dari mana?
    Can buy statesite, ke?

    I never tried tempeh in Malaysia and I takut to try it here because I am afraid its not authentic....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, I updated the site with more information for you.
    I bought the ikan bilis from asian store. This particular one came from China. The ikan bilis from Malaysia is too expensive for me.
    The new tempe I had from Philly taste authentic than the tempe from regular store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. K.zu,
    Makan dgn nasi impit pun sedap ni.. klu tambah kacang panjang & suhun dah boleh jadi sambal goreng.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dhil, Sambal goreng memang sedap. Hari ni I buat lagi sambal tempe ni but this time I add potato. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete