Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Shrimp Curry and Paratha

I was at giant, a grocery store to buy some fresh fish and my favorite seaweed salad when I saw a sale buy one get one free of variety ready to cook meal. one of the meal on sale was paratha and shrimp curry in a bag. I look at the packet and was tempted to buy them but then I said to myself, why should I buy the ready to cook meal if I can cook it at home. I have lots of frozen paratha/parotha or roti canai and I have all the ingredients to cook the shrimp curry. So, I put the bag down and walk away.

Ingredients:
1 lb medium size shrimp (devein and cleaned)
4 jalapeno (hot chili)
3 russet potato
1 large yellow onion
8 cloves garlic
Curry mix ( 6 tablespoon fish curry powder, 1 tablespoon powdered ginger, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp powdered cloves, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 tsp powdered white pepper, 1 tsp powdered galangal, 1 tsp powdered lemongrass) add 1/2 cup water to make a paste.
3 tbs olive oil to fry onion and garlic.
3 pieces kaffir lime leaves
4 pieces curry leaf
1/2 cup coconut milk
3 cups water
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
Fresh Cilantro

Method:
Dice small the onion and chop the garlic.
Dice jalapeno small.
Cut the potato into eight pieces.
In a big pot, heat olive oil.
fry the onion and garlic until fragrant.
Add jalapeno. Stir.
Add curry mix.
Fry until slightly dry and fragrant
Add Potato. Stir.
Add water.
Let it boil.
Once potato is half cooked, add coconut milk.
Add salt and sugar to taste.
This shrimp curry is very spicy or hot.
Once the potato is cooked, add shrimp.
Stir until shrimp turn pink.
Add cilantro.
Stir.
Turn off the stove and serve warm with paratha / parotha / nan bread / or any bread.
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment