Saturday, May 08, 2010

How to pickle hot peppers

I bought a big bag of hot peppers and was thinking of making a pickle out of it. I asked my good friend Gertrude for her recipe since I have never done this before. She gave me some guideline and so here is my recipe put out to the test.
I read somewhere that I should use Teflon pot or anything that is not metal. The metal from the pot will react with the vinegar and create cloudy mix. Teflon pot will prevent this from happening. I am used to mix vinegar with sugar for my cucumber and pineapple salad. So for this plain hot peppers pickle, I am using the same format except this time I followed Gertrude method that is to cook the vinegar first.

Boil in a big pot the following:
1 cup water
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Let it bubble or until the sugar dissolved. Turn off the stove and let the vinegar cool down.

In the meantime, prepare the hot pepper and the glass container to keep the pickle.

Wash the green hot pepper. Then slice it thinly at an angle.
Do not forget to use this handy dandy plastic disposable glove. The juice from the hot pepper could burn your hand. Throw the glove as soon as you have finished slicing the hot pepper. I bought this plastic glove at a dollar store for a buck.
Once the vinegar is cool, add sliced hot pepper into the glass container. Then pour the vinegar over the hot peppers in the jar. Cover the jar tightly and keep it in the refrigerator.
This pickle should be ready by the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment