Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Panko Breaded Okra

While at Gertrude's, we went to the farmer's market. I bought a bag of okra. Okra is my favorite. I like to eat okra that is fried, or in asam laksa, in curry, steam and serve with some hot and spicy sambal, in gumbo(if uncut), etc.
For tonight dinner, since I was heating the oil to fry honey's panko breaded whiting, I took the advantage to fry the okra.
This is a simple step to coat bread crumbs to the okra. Firstly, I wash the okra and then cut both ends. If you cut first and then wash, you will get all that slimy thing all over the okra.

Then I coat the okra with the dry spices. As usual I am using the zatarain fish fry dry spices. Put the dry mix in a zip loc plastic bag and shake them with the okra.

In a bowl, mix 2 egg with 1/2 cup of milk.
Add some flavor like ground black pepper and tiny bit of salt. As for me, I am using the roasted garlic and peppercorn spices. It smells so good.
Mix well.

In another bowl, pour the panko bread crumbs.

Roll okra in the egg bath.

Then dump it into the panko bread crumbs.

Fry on medium low heat until golden brown in a shallow frying pan.
Serve this crunchy and tasty breaded okra with some potato salad and fried fish. Yummy!

3 comments:

  1. Zue the fried okra look so good. I never eat it that way before. Must be sedap kan :) I still don't know what to do with mine. Maybe do it like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gert, the okra started to bruise and moldy. Luckily I cook them last night and only 2 are bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, sedapnya!Your okra looks good. Usually, I make Fish curry with okra- you know how it is when the okra is soft and nyegk nyegk.. or okra malayalee style is great too. Stir fry with spices till the slime is all gone.

    ReplyDelete