Monday, October 05, 2009

Serunding

I always like serunding. Serunding can be made either from chicken, beef or fish. My favorite serunding is the traditional beef serunding. Gertrude gave some serunding a few years back and I cannot forget the delicious taste. I like to eat this serunding just as it is or eat it with some warm white rice.

The first thing I did was to cut the beef into 1/4 inch depth and about an inch long following the grain.This way, it will be easier for me to shred it with my hand.

I didn't measure, but I think I have about 2 lbs of beef.

Boil the beef in water on medium low for about 30 minutes. Do not add anything and certainly do not add salt.
Test the beef for tenderness.
If the beef is easily shred, turn off the heat.
Fish out the beef.
Keep the beef stock for other use.
Let the beef cool down before handling it.
Shred each pieces.
Set aside.
In a big skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil.
Saute blended ingredients.
The blended ingredients are onion, garlic, hot peppers, ginger, lemongrass, galangal and turmeric.
Add curry powder, cumin and coriander.
I am using ready to use spicy green curry mix.
I add more coriander to this mix.
Add 3 pieces of turmeric leaves (chopped finely).
Add 1/3 cup dry coconut flakes.
Add 2 tablespoons sugar.
Seasoned with salt.
1/4 cup water.
Cook everything on low until the beef is dry.
I had to stop cooking, keep the food in the fridge and re cook at other time until it turn dry. And the outcome is excellent.

1 comment:

  1. this looks amazing... i remember having it only during hari raya back in sabah.. Thanks for the recipe!!

    Just a question, for the blended mix, do u remember the quantity for the spices in it?

    ReplyDelete