Thursday, September 03, 2009

Thirteenth Day Ramadan - Fish in Turmeric Soup

For some reason turmeric leaves is not easy to find at my Asian grocery store around my area. I always have to omit this fragrant and delicious ingredient in my asian meal. A friend of mine,Yati Harvey sent to me via postal some of her turmeric plants all the way from her home. We kind of exchanging plants when I sent her the 'Daun Kesum'. I separated the plants she sent to me into two and grow them in two 8 inches pots.
They are doing so well in my kitchen. Their shoots keep growing and they really love the heat from the kitchen. Since they are new plants and their roots are not fully developed, I do not sit them outside.
Today's breakfasting meal is using this aromatic and delicious turmeric leaf.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb fish (I am using fish head that has been cut into bite pieces. You could use any fish you like)
3 large shallots
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 big piece of the turmeric leaf (slice it thinly)
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
2 pieces kaffir lime leaves(daun limau purut)
5 pieces bird eyes chili
2 cups water
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Method:
Heat olive oil in a big pot on medium.
Add sliced onions. Sweat the onion for 2 minutes.
Add chopped garlic.
Add bird eyes chili (cili padi).
Add grated ginger. Stir until fragrant(not to burn the garlic).
Add turmeric leaves, turmeric powder, and whole kaffir lime leaves.
Add fish. Stir gently to coat.
Add water.
Seasoning with salt and ground black pepper.
Cook until water comes to a boil.
Cover and turn off the stove.
Serve warm with white rice or bread.
I am using a wheat bread.
The smell of this fish soup was really making me hungry. The taste was great. The turmeric leaf add freshness to the taste.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. k.zu,
    Similar to singgang, kan? Saya tak pernah masak macam ni..tapi suka makan ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mam, your turmeric plant in US look healthier than mine in Malaysia.:) You have such a great 'green fingers'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dhill, haah. macam ikan singgang. Cuma Kak Zu tambah cili padi kasi pedas sikit.

    Wan Noraizah, thanks.this is my first time growing turmeric.

    ReplyDelete