Monday, September 07, 2009

Seventeenth Day Ramadan - Rendang Ayam

It is not too early to start savoring this delicious Asian meal called Chicken Rendang or in Bahasa Malaysia we say Rendang ayam. My recipe for this slightly different than before. Here, I blend all the ingredients except chicken and olive oil at once.
First thing I did was to brown dry unsweetened coconut flakes in sauce pan without any oil. In bahasa we call this step as sangan kelapa and turn it into kerisik.
Once the coconut flakes turned brown, I let it cool.
Other ingredients I blend with this kerisik are:
3 shallots
5 garlic
1 inch fresh ginger
2 tablespoon shredded lemongrass
1 red hot chilli
1 cup water

Method:
In a big pot, heat 4 tablespoon olive oil on medium.
Add the blended ingredients and let it cook until oil comes to the surface. Stir it occasionally to ensure the bottom is not burn.
Then add chicken.
Stir.
Add ground black pepper and salt.
Add 2 tablespoons sugar.
Add 5 pieces daun limau purut or kaffir lime leaves.
Turn the heat to low. Cover and let it simmer until all the mixture reduced.
Serve warm with white rice or bread.

Enjoy!
Now, hope on to my other site to see my Baju raya. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment