Monday, July 06, 2009

Homegrown Mashed Turnips on Patty Pan Squash

I decided to try cooking mashed turnips since I have lots of turnips in the garden even after I gave away some to my co-worker. The recipe for the mashed turnips is simple.
Ingredients:
5 medium size turnips (peeled and diced)
2 tablespoon sugar
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sour cream
4 tablespoons salted butter

Method:
In a big pot, boil water with salt and sugar. Cook diced turnips until tender. Add more water if the turnips is not tender.
Drain well.
Add sour cream, butter and black pepper. Mash well.
Add salt if needed.
I am serving the mashed turnips on pan fried patty pan summer squash. Seasoned with salt and pepper.
Above is the fireworks for the 4th of July celebration at my area.
Patty pan summer squash. They are cute and delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Great use of both turnips and patty pan squash! You should enter it in the next Grow Your Own roundup!

    ReplyDelete