Monday, May 05, 2008

Kuih Ketayap (Crepe with filling)

Firstly, I prepared the fillings. It was just a cup of grated coconut(unsweetened) cooked with 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup water. I added 3 pieces of screwpines for some fragrant.
The batter was made from 1 cup of flour, 1 egg, a pinch of green food coloring, 2 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 cup milk(thanks to Gertrude for her comment). I use an electric mixer to get a smooth batter. Grease the non stick pan with a tablespoon of butter on medium heat. Pour a scoop of the batter in the center of the pan and move the pan around for the batter to coat the side. Flip the crepe once it is ready.
Put a spoonful of the filling on the flip side of the crepe. This way, the crepe will not crack when you roll the crepe over.
I like mine served warm. You can have it chill too. Enjoy!

Transplant Herbs
The weather is kind of cool, so I decided to get dirty and transplant my herbs into a bigger pot.This is the flat leave parseley from my windoesil that I have rooted in the water for months.

7 comments:

  1. Zue, for the kueh ketayap you don't have to put any water to the batter? Won't it be too thick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gert, I use 1/2 cup milk. Terlupa pulak nak tulis. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love warm kuih ketayap. You and Gert have a lot in common, no wonder you guys are best friend. I guess now I have to find a house in between your house and Gert's house. :) Good food and nice people, that's all I need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yatie_t, I am not a good cook compare to Gert. She cooks better in every way. I went to your blog and see that you also like to cook. That is good. Especially during this higher price food season everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no choice but to cook if I want to eat our Malaysian food, also dinner time is Joshua's bedtime. I can't really eat out every night anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a cook but I thought you need to use the pandan leaves for the colour and the fragrant. Artificial colouring might give the desired colour but how about the fragrant?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man U, you are right. To get that wonderful fragrant, you can use pandan leaves (screwpine) that you blend and strain and use the juice in the batter.

    ReplyDelete