Sunday, January 31, 2010

Zeppole

I remember seeing Giada De Laurentiis cook Zeppole on the Food Network channel. It was fun to see the puff turn on it's own. Last week I saw on Gertrude's Kitchen her Zeppole with a twist. She added an apple. Since I have some apples in my kitchen, I decided to try her recipe. My first batch was a disaster. I blame it on my apple juice that was probably not squeeze long enough to drain it. I had to sprinkle 2 tablespoon of flour in the batch and deep fry them again. Then only it turn out beautifully.


The ingredients:
1/2 stick butter
1 cup water
3 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup all purpose flour ( mine had to add another 2 tablespoon at the end to bind them)
1 apple (peel the skin, grate and squeeze out the juice)
Sugar to dust
olive oil to fry
It was fun to see the zeppole turn by itself when one side is done.
I am using sugar in the raw to dust this cute little zeppole.
This zeppole is still tasty and the shape hold even when it is cold. I wish I have someone to enjoy this with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Method:
1. In a medium size saucepan combine 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons sugar, and 1ncup of water over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Take saucepan off the heat and stir in the flour. Return saucepan to the heat and stir continuously until mixture forms a ball, about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Transfer the flour mixture to a big bowl. I am using an electric hand mixer. On medium speed, beat the dough with the eggs, add one egg at a time. Beat until smooth.
3. Add in the apple. Mix well and set it aside.
4. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Using a small ice-cream scooper or 2 small spoons, drop about a tablespoon of the dough into oil.
5. Fry until golden brown. Removed and drain the oil on paper towel.
6. Toss the Zeppole in the cinnamon sugar or in my case in the raw sugar.
7. Serve warm.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Zue, glad that you try out this zeppole. The apple you use is very important. I made this again yesterday but using different type of apple and the apple was kind of mushy so the zeppole didn't turn out as well. So the next time I only will use granny smith apple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. salam k.zue..ni ala2 jemput2 epal la ek?? mesti cedaapkan..leh try nih!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gert, thanks to you. This zeppole is really good. The apple I used was mushy too.

    Ina, you've got to try this. The original recipe from Giada do not have apple. She uses vanilla bean. I am not sure if you can call this ala jemput jemput because the method to prepare it is different. You need to cook the flour in kuali first and it use lots of egg. With the grated apple added, the puff has more texture rather than having eggy and buttery taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a must-try thing! Hope I have a chance soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While copying the recipe I notice you missed out eggs in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HomeKreation, thanks for letting me know about the eggs. Yes, please add 3 eggs.

    ReplyDelete